Sunday, March 29, 2015

Screw basketball this is Man-Thing Madness



Well I've got this temporary lull in my schedule and I decided to enjoy some of my down time with one of my favorite leisure activities which is to draw. I had this story idea for a while now in which The Dire Wraiths possess The Man-Thing in order to create some sort of mayhem in the their latest scheme against humanity. Discovering their, plot ROM shows up to save the day by breaking their spell which in turn have the dire wraiths running scared because now they've not only lost control of the Man-Thing but also have their greatest enemy on the scene. But it isn't ROM that does them in because as you all should know Whatever knows fear burns at the touch of The Man-Thing!
On a side note here if you want to read a some what cheesy but entertaining Man-Thing related story from the bronze age of comics written by Bill Mantlo I recommend Marvel Premier 28
http://bronzeagebabies.blogspot.com/2011/10/legion-of-mediocrity-marvel-premiere-28.html

Awesome 70s & 80s Man-Thing appearance cover art by Michael Golden
That's gonna pretty much do it for March it's been another much to do about nothing month in regards to all things ROM related as far as any news or any cool fan art and what not. It's not to say no new fan art has appeared this month but it just hasn't been the sort of thing I want to post on this blog any more. Some new fan art has turned up this month but of that new art work here's the most recent piece which happens to be by someone who's got some serious illustration skills but unfortunately didn't put much imagination into their ROM fan art  . . .
http://iszyiszard.deviantart.com/art/Romspaceknight-522296953

9 comments:

  1. I finally had a moment of freedom to come over and check what you've been up too! I saw your work on deviant art So I thought I would drop in and say Wazzz Upppppppppppp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. give the this posting a thorough read i think you'll be surprised what you find even though you've already seen the new fan art.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious since all these Re-Action figures of past movie and franchies are coming out, why ROM can't have his own figure.

    Love those Michael Golden covers though. Man-Thing rarely looked better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the short and simple answer is that every body at marvel and Hasbro are a bunch of fucken assholes.

      Delete
  3. I second Dale's comment - Michael Golden doesn't get enough press.

    Nice fan art though Dave! The different layers of colour on Man-Thing actually help make him look like he's made of swamp. It rarely had that effect in the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when it came to the Man-Thing in that fan art all it took was about an hour of some fast and furious work with some coloring pencils.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely adore that Man-Thing, Dave. You got the swampy green just right. Any chance you'll ever make the entire comic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this guy over at deviant asked me the same thing. I would love to if I had the time. to actually draw a full comic is a huge undertaking. what you see up there which took me a bit over 3 hours to do would only represent a single panel in an entire comic book issue. plus on top of that I would also have to focus on page lay out too. as we all know most any monthly comic has a collaboration of people (writer, penciler, inker, colorist, editor). when it comes to the artist in particular it's not just about being a talented illustrator it's also about speed. at one point in Sal Buscema's career he was cranking out 4 issues a month as a penciler!

      Delete
    2. Which is as insane to me as you doing this one in three hours. Something on that scale would take me weeks.

      Delete